Sunday, November 18, 2012

down for the count

well, at least for the next almost 4 weeks.

finally sucked it up and went to the doctor this past Thursday. after a LOT of badgering and harassing by friends. I am glad I went. kind of .

I saw a new doctor as well as her resident. I "knew" them from my old job at the hospital, but didn't know them personally. I was very happy with the care I received.

Anyway, they gave me a preliminary diagnosis of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, which is also known as Runner's Knee. fun, eh? what this means...
  • no running until my recheck, but at least 6 weeks minimum. 
  • no high heels (not that I wear them that often, but need to this week...of course)
  • PT consult on Dec 3rd (chose to go to the PT attached to the hospital I used to work at, so at least I know who is treating me, always nice to see friends)
  • ice/naproxen regularly. even if I'm not in pain, which the times that I have no pain are far less than the times I am in pain. 
  • recheck with the Dr. on Dec 13th. 
  • if I am still in pain, no changes...then I'll be scheduled for an MRI
so that's that.  this will suck. I was hoping to do the Thanksgiving 5k, since my parents will be visiting. but maybe I'll go cheer instead.

as for how I feel, physically. it hurts like hell. starting on Sunday/Monday I've been in almost constant pain.  Thursday and Friday were pure misery. I'd have my pain at a 5-6/10 on the pain scale. I took ibuprofen, that didn't work I took naproxen, that didn't work. Though thankfully, starting to help a little.

I cannot walk around a lot. I can't drive long distances. I dug out my crutches as a "just in case" thing. had to use them a little today, if that gives any indication as to how much it hurts.

it shall be a long 4-6 weeks...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! I'm so sorry... I dealt with runner's knee when training for my first marathon (which I never got to run). The good news is, I recovered and haven't had issues since! But resting is so hard when you're used to being active. Hope you're feeling great at the 6 week mark!

    ReplyDelete