Friday, July 19, 2013

slacker

I've never been a fan of writing, but I did want to chronicle my journey back to running after injury. Because injuries just plain suck. Not running sucks even more. Then having to start back at square one bites the big one.

So Couch to 5k is going pretty well. I've finished week 5. I did extra days in week 1, took a day off in week 2. It's evened out pretty well.

The 20 minute run at the end of week five scared the bejeezus out of me. I hadn't run 20 minutes straight probably since the half marathon on October 13th. That is a long, long time. The temperature was 80 F, 90% humidity at 8am when I set out to run. When I walked out the door, I could just feel the mugginess. It was horrid. I am not a fan of summer. Never have been. Bring on the 20-30 degree runs. I'm all over those. BUT, I did it. I sucked it up. I took my time. I did it. I paused for a few seconds to stick my head under the sprinkler in front of the little retirement community by my house. Got home and I was drenched in sweat. I cannot remember another time where I dripped sweat like that. It was a good feeling.

As for how my knee/leg feels? My IT band is sore most days. I stretch it. I should ice it more. Starting to foam roll it. I've been having a weird pain in my right heel. Though it doesn't hurt when I run. So, I haven't worried too much about that.

Overall, I feel pretty good about how the recovery has been going. I haven't run more than twice a week. Though, I'm going to attempt that next week...just to see how it goes. If it bothers me, then I'll stick to twice a week. No shame in that whatsoever. I want to be able to run and if it means running only two days a week, I'm cool with that. I'm happy just to be running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment