Saturday, July 7, 2012

what I want to be when I grow up

Unemployment gives you a lot of time to think about what you want to be. What you want to do for your life's work. I love nursing. Blood doesn't bother me. Giving people a bath doesn't bother me. I'll admit that I love poking people with needles whether for a shot or to draw blood or start an IV. There are very few things I don't like about my chose profession. But, when you have your first nursing job for less than two months, it really makes you question if you were cut out for it.

Someone asked me this week what kind of nursing job I was looking for. I said that right now, I'd take whatever would pay me. And honestly? I would. Do I like pediatrics or OB? Not really, but if that was who hired me, I'd do it in a heartbeat and do it to the best of my ability.

I've also been thinking about where I want my nursing career to go "someday." I wrote a paper last summer during nursing school about Diabetes in Kentucky's Children (if anyone wants to read it, I'd be more than willing to send it to you via email). That is the population I want to work with. I want to teach kids how to fight off diabetes, how to prevent it, and if they do have it...how to treat it the best way possible. As a person who is at high risk for diabetes (overweight, paternal grandmother had type 2, I had gestational diabetes twice), the disease scares the living daylights out of me, almost more than any other disease.

That is where running comes in. I'm running and losing weight to lower my risks for diabetes and I want to teach others to do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment