Friday, March 29, 2013

and a diagnosis. finally.

Saw the new doctor on Tuesday (it's taken this long to get here as my darling girl keeps face planting and we spent some time at the ER today).

his thoughts...

  • hamstring tendinitis
  • pes anserine bursitis
  • IT band problems

plan is to

  • take methylprednisolone (a corticosteroid, to decrease inflammation), 6 day dosing
  • take naproxen twice a day for 2 weeks, then prn after that
  • start PT which will include ionotopheresis to both my hamstring tendon and my IT band as well as the usual hamstring, IT band, etc... exercises. first appointment is April 10th
  • go back to the doctor on May 28th

future running plans?

  • no running still for at least 2-3 more months, maybe longer. depends on how my body reacts to meds and PT
  • no long distances until I'm in an average weight range. I need to lose about 50ish pounds for that. 
  •  when I return to running, I can still do about 15-20 miles/week but have to break it up in 2-5 different runs. nothing more than 5 miles in one run. 
  • focus on intensity. maybe there is a sub-30 5k in there for me?

so that's that. very happy to have a plan in place. it sure beats being blown off by some orthopedic fellow who doesn't know what he's talking about and told me never to run again. so for now, there's hope. I can deal with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment