Monday, June 4, 2012

training thoughts

I mentioned in one of the last posts that after the Iron Horse Half Marathon in October, I'll be backing off from long distance racing. There are many reasons why. I have the endurance to do it. I know I can do it. I have done it. I had thought of contemplating a marathon before my 30th birthday next year (2013), but being as I'm a single parent...long runs are hard enough when training for a half.

so some of my reasons include:
  • ex-husband is about 95% sure he's being deployed in September, which will make it hard to even finish up my training for the half I've already registered for
  • I don't have a significant other supporting me. I cannot just leave my kids and go run, they are too young.
  • I honestly love 5k's more than anything
  • I want to work more at getting faster than work on distance. Distance is something I can always add in later.
  • It's easier to find someone to watch my kids for less than an hour to run, if ex-husband gets deployed than it would be for 3+ hours
  • I don't know what my work schedule will be like and since I'm the only one picking kids up most likely come fall, I'll be the only one focusing on homework, etc... and all three kids will be in school (preschool, 1st, and 3rd)

there are others, but those are the main ones. so my goals for the rest of the year are to do a 5k (or other race a month) and I'd like to lose 30 lbs by the end of the year, which would still put me 10 lbs shy of my goal weight.

Races that I'm registered for or plan to register for. I am thankful for a great running community where I could find a race almost any weekend I wanted to.

June 10: United Way 5k on the Runway (goal time sub 33 min)
July 4: Bluegrass 10,000 (goal time 1:10:00)
August 11: Midsummer Night's Run 5k
September: ?
October 14: Iron Horse Half Marathon
November: ?
December: ?

No comments:

Post a Comment